Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: American Girl Horses... Lots of questions.

  1. #1
    Inactive Member kitti515's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 18th, 2004
    Posts
    352
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I didn't get to play with Penny too much over Christmas break, but from what I remember she was fairly weighty, and definitely not huggable.

    - Becca

  2. #2
    Ashley1972
    Guest Ashley1972's Avatar

    Post

    My dd has the one from Target and they are on clearance for $29.99. My dd loves it but I like the look of the Ag ones. We are still waiting for the AG Penny horse we won off Ebay to come in. I paid $34.95 for it including shipping so if you watch the auctions you may get a good deal. I will let you know what it is like when I get it.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member C.H. Pussnboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2003
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm no expert, we just got Penny a few weeks ago. We got her used in a lot deal with Felicity.

    The horse is heavy and sturdy IMO. Much heavier and sturdy than I imagined. The horse isn't really flocked. It's more like a "slipcover" if you can imagine. It's very well done and very soft. Like a velour. The mane is very shiny and silky.

    We just have the saddle and bridle that came with Penny...but I ordered Kaya's saddle. People here said it will help the dolls sit upright better.

    HTH.

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner OSusannah's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 31st, 2003
    Posts
    939
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    We have Steps High and love her! As was already said,she isn't flocked, but has a "skin." Sparks Flying's "skin" can be slid around a little, but not Steps High. It is adhered in place, making it less likely to get torn.

    They are pretty sturdy and the dolls can ride them without the saddle by scooting them up until they are right behind the neck of the horse. The saddle does hold the dolls better than bareback.

    They are much prettier than the Target horse IMO. Good luck on your eBay search!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member dianasmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12th, 2004
    Posts
    1,086
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Last night I was asked when can we get Steps High because Felicity was riding Penny, but didn't really have anyone to race against!

    How does she come up with these things? I've trained her well... [img]redface.gif[/img] [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]eek.gif[/img]

    Laurie

  6. #6
    Inactive Member American_Mommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    918
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My daughter saw an American Girl horse while we were browsing the website.She instantly fell in love with it.

    I have a lot of questions about the horses, and I am hoping some of you will be able to answer them.

    Are they sturdy?

    Do they tip over easily when your Doll is "riding"?

    Do the dolls stay on pretty well?

    Is the horse heavy?

    Is it just flocked hard plastic, or is there some stuffing there too for a more huggable feel?

    What is about the best price I can hope to find on a horse on Ebay?I really do not want to buy a new one at full price, because I know it will be played with a lot anyhow- if that makes any sense, lol.

    I know there are some other horse out there, the big plastic ones at Target, but I think I like the flocked look of the AG horses better.
    Does anyone have one of the Target horses? How does it compare?

    Sorry for all of the questions, I was just pleased to see her taking such an interest in the horse.Thanks everyone. -Anna

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Tinuviel_156's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2004
    Posts
    159
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Are they sturdy? Yes, the larger horses are very sturdy and hold up well to heavy playing (we've had them run around on concrete for years now and they haven't broken yet)

    Do they tip over easily when your Doll is "riding"? yes, they hold up very well because we've managed to have up to four dolls all riding one horse before and it's stayed upright. However "sparks flying" (Kaya's smaller horse) is extremely tippy and I can never get her to stay put.

    Do the dolls stay on pretty well? If you put them on in a proper riding position they stay on very well, even if the stirrups aren't on. It helps to balance it by having them hold the reigns between their fingers.

    Is the horse heavy? The horse is fairly heavy, but not too heavy for younger girls to carry around.

    Is it just flocked hard plastic, or is there some stuffing there too for a more huggable feel? The horse is not huggable at all, but fun to groom.

    Hope this helps!
    Greta

  8. #8
    Inactive Member American_Mommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 23rd, 2005
    Posts
    918
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, you all have me convinced to get her a horse.Maybe I will save it for Christmas.I will be watching for a good preloved one on Ebay. Thanks everyone,for all of your help.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Princess_Lyndsi's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    129
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Are they sturdy? Pretty much.

    Do they tip over easily when your Doll is "riding"? Not if the doll is in the correct position. (The horse comes with a little booklet called Riding Lessons that shows you how to sit them on the horse.)

    Do the dolls stay on pretty well? Yes, ^

    Is the horse heavy? It's not super heavy, but heavy enough that the doll stays on and its pretty sturdy.

    Is it just flocked hard plastic, or is there some stuffing there too for a more huggable feel? Its just plastic with the soft covering- not very huggable.

    What is about the best price I can hope to find on a horse on Ebay?I really do not want to buy a new one at full price, because I know it will be played with a lot anyhow- if that makes any sense, lol. You could get one anywhere from $30-$45, depending on the condition.

    I know there are some other horse out there, the big plastic ones at Target, but I think I like the flocked look of the AG horses better.
    Does anyone have one of the Target horses? How does it compare? The AG horses are much better quality. In my opinion, it is definately worth the extra money.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •